Wednesday, November 30, 2016

w. 47 China and Georgetown University

Week 47 I discussed two examples of how a people/group/nation has dealt with its past:

China + the Great Leap Forward

Georgetown University + past profits and labor connected to slave ownership in the 19th century

I'll post here some of the information I referred to or used for that lesson.

China:

I referred to an independent filmmaker who is working on getting private films about what people remember about events connected to the Great Leap Forward:



http://www.npr.org/2012/11/11/164801546/recording-the-untold-stories-of-chinas-great-famine

****

The document the Chinese government put together to review its history from 1949 to 1981, particularly the years led by Mao. The documents reflects a reluctance to criticize Mao in any significant manner, since his leadership and the ideology he adhered to remained the basis for the country then -- as well now:

"Resolution on certain questions in the history of our party since the founding of the People’s Republic of China"

(Adopted by the Sixth Plenary Session of the Eleventh Central Committee of the Communist Party of China on June 27, 1981)

(You can Google the document)


Georgetown University:

Georgetown University Plans Steps to Atone for Slave Past



No comments:

Post a Comment